“What is SEO? And how is it different to SEM? How do each of these solutions drive the outcome I want? Why are there so many acronyms I have to remember?!” Are just some of the questions I get from my clients. We’ll talk through the differences between the two in an upcoming blog, but for now, let’s focus on gaining clarity on what SEO is and share five tips you action to make your site SEO friendly.
What is SEO?
SEO or Search Engine Optimisation is a strategy used to gain more visitors (traffic) to your website by earning a spot on the first page of Google (hopefully at the top) uncommonly referred to as SERP (Search Engine Results Page)
It’s earned. What does that mean? It means that you’ve got to work hard to tick all the boxes Google needs you to and earn your spot in the results. And that’s SEO guys! Where it gets tricky is keeping on top of what Google looks for in a website to favour it and to hire someone who can effectively tick all those boxes.
Here are 5 simple things you can do to your site to make it SEO compliant:
- Make it mobile. You don’t need to be a digital specialist to know that not having a mobile optimised site will result in a horrendous user experience for your customer. They will leave your site and look down on your brand for it.
- Make your site secure. Making your site secure means that communications between your browser and the website are encrypted (which just means information is concealed and is safe from harm) HTTPS is the secure version of HTTP (Hyper Text Transfer Protocol/ Hyper Text Transfer Secure) Follow these steps to secure your site.
- Strategically place keywords to the pages and images of your site . Select the keywords that you want to be associated in someone’s search.
- Keep on top of your content marketing. Blogs, videos, fresh, useful content. This is where we come in!
- Include meta tags and titles . Jargony I know, but your web developer should be able to help with this. If these are not present
If you’re missing content on your website, you’re missing out on the people looking for it and they could be your customers. If you’re looking to build your website’s content to make it SEO compliant, get in touch and we’ll see what we can do to help.